Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Do you like you?

Recently I came across the music video 'Try' by Colbie Caillat that I guess is pretty viral and all over Facebook. You can watch the video above before you read on so that maybe you could get a better perspective from where I'm coming from.

When I first saw people on Facebook (majority girls) sharing this video, immediately I knew it was something along the lines of self acceptance and beauty. Me, being someone who is very much drawn to anything related to self acceptance, I watched it. Just after the first minute of the song the lyrics started to really sink in and as the video went on everything about the music video started sinking in. I started crying. Let me explain to you why I cried so that you don't think I'm just some emotional teenage drama queen. First, things related to self acceptance/physical appearance makes me vulnerable. Second, it made me question myself if I'm happy with myself or if I really like myself. Third, watching people being emotional makes me get emotional (only on certain topics and not on topics like watching TFIOS, no offence intended)

I hated questioning myself if I was happy with being me. I hate questioning myself in general. It makes me feel worthless or wrong because it makes me feel like I did something wrong. Never liked it. It bugged me. I tried to go on to Tumblr/Pinterest and look at all the pretty things that inspires me on a daily basis but the lyrics to the song kept bugging me. I couldn't enjoy looking at pretty models or pictures of girls with their magazines or laptops or coffee after watching that music video. I admit, the music video was emotionally moving, especially to girls and women who are insecure.

After awhile, I was just thinking about it the whole day, thinking about it in the shower (you know those life changing decisions shower thinking kinda thing) and also before I went to bed (the time where your brain refuses to let you go to sleep). I was just thinking, what IF I feel happier with myself with my makeup on? What if I just prefer and like myself better with makeup on? I don't put on heavy makeup. My daily makeup routine consists of concealer, clear powder, mascara, blusher and occasionally eye liner. Quite frankly, I feel better about my physical appearance that way more than I do when I have no makeup on. So that kinda brought up the question, am I not obliged to be happier when I have makeup on than when I don't? Am I not truly 'happy' with myself because of this?

My answer is no. 

I should be able to enjoy being comfortable and happy with myself with makeup on. I am genuinely happier with myself when I have light makeup on. I am still happy even without the makeup on mind you. I still like myself with the makeup on. In fact, I sometimes like myself better with my makeup on. One thing that I noticed in the video is there were none with acne problems. They didn't have the best skin but they definitely didn't have bad acne or even slight scars on their faces. I have scars on my face due to my itchy fingers from popping pimples back in secondary school. With that, I feel more comfortable when I conceal those scars with makeup on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't like yourself without makeup or whatever. All I'm saying is, you do not have to remove all that makeup to truly like yourself. I like myself because I know I have grown into a better person, I know I have gone through thick and thin to become a better person, I know I have put in effort to my work and my studies and that makes me like myself more than I did last time. I like myself from within, not just from what I see in the mirror. What I see in the mirror does not tell me if I'm a better person or if I like myself or not. I like myself because in my mind, I know I'm a better person today than I was before. Also, I don't buy my clothes or 'get my sexy on' just so that 'they will like me'. I buy my clothes for myself because when I look good in it I feel good, doesn't matter how sexy/weird they look like. If I feel good, I'm obliged to like myself that way.

Anyway, my point it that you don't have to rely on physical appearance to like yourself completely. I believe that whats on the inside is whats more important. If you think you've grown into a beautiful soul, you should like that more than like what you see on the outside (I'm not saying you shouldn't like whats on the outside but you get my point lol). At the end of the day, we all have different opinions and thoughts on things like this. This is just my opinion on this topic which I thought I would like to share. I hope I don't spark any hatred or anything, I really don't mean to offend anyone in anyway. For me its about accepting who you are as a person on the inside, something that is more important than accepting your physical appearance. Being you, your character, your actions, your choice of words, etc., thats what you should like the most and not just look on the outside. Build up your confidence from within and you'll be able to conquer the world.

Again, I hope I didn't come off the wrong way. If some of you don't agree on this, let me know what you think or even if you do agree. It's just my opinion like how some people think tattoos are awesome and can still land you a great job and some don't. Just simple things. I like me the way I am. Oh, and the song is pretty good too yeah haha. Till here, Nx.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've realized, but at the end of the video, there are photos of each of the women with and without makeup on next to each other, so yuo can see the difference, and there was one girl whose face was covered with spots and stuff, and there was a vast difference in her before and after makeup photo, so yeah. Just pointing that out.
    Also, to me, the lyrics mean something different from what you've perceived it as actually. To me, it meant that we don't have to put on makeup for others if we don't want to, but if we do, then it's fine. To me, it didn't mean that we have to remove our makeup to truly like ourselves. Colbie has also said that she wrote this song because she was fed up of being asked to be more like the pop singers now, to make music like theirs, to dress sexier and stuff. So the song is actually based on her venting.
    So...yeah. Just my opinion. I don't mean to start a fight or anything haha.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I notice but didn't looked like bad acne to me. I understand from your point of view. I read about her interviews too about the photoshop and all. Nice to hear from your side :)

      Delete